Saturday, April 08, 2006

Lazy Saturday

Isn't getting sick on a Saturday the worst thing ever? Especially such a beautiful day like today. It started yesterday with a slight sore throat, then I woke up with a full fledged burns-to-swallow sore throat and the aches. (It was bad enough that it woke me up in the middle of the night, so I decided to watch some TV to try to take my mind off the pain. All that was on was "Bosom Buddies", which I happily watched. Now that's sick.). Fun fun. So I've been doing a lot of laying around the house today, just chillin.
Anyway, last night I had the last minute opportunity to go see Sara Groves with my mom, aunt & cousin. It was a really nice concert. I was impressed with her down-to-earth style, both musically and as she spoke. I'd almost forgotten what a great songwriter she is; it sort of re-awakened me to her music. Good stuff. I was inspired. :)
Anyway, one point she made was that she sometimes feels like the Church today is "all dressed up, with nowhere to go". We've built beautiful buildings, a great "worship" revival, Bible studies, Bibles, devotionals, books, and all kinds of discipleship resources at our fingertips. That's all great - but what are we doing with it all? That resounded with me last night, as earlier in the day I started thinking about how I sometimes feel like I'm "hoarding" my faith. I think it's really easy to do that here! Case in point for me is the sheer number of Bibles in my possession. I have a LOT of Bibles. Seriously. I like to say that I really use them all, but the reality is that 99% spend 99% of the time on the shelf, collecting dust. I feel like one step for me is to be on the lookout for someone who may need a Bible, which leads me to the question: what am I doing to put myself in a position to reach out to someone? A number of years ago I did a Bible study called "Experiencing God", which, in a nutshell, says that to experience God, step one is to see where He's working, and step two is to meet Him there and let Him use you. So I guess that's my challenge to myself: to be ever-asking God that question: "Where are you working?".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home